PLEASE NOTE: Facebook no longer supports FBML. You might want to use some of the HTML code in this post for the newer “Static HTML” application instead. FBML will not work when added to new pages, tho existing instances work – for now. 9-3-11
One of the advantages of having a Facebook Fan Page for your business vs. using your personal Profile page is the ability to customize the landing page someone reaches before connecting to you. In Fan Pages you are allowed to create pages that use HTML that will show up on your Tabs. You do this by adding an application called Static FBML. Here’s how!
Adding Static FBML to your Fan Page:
- Log into your Facebook account
- Click Applications on the lower left
- Click Browse More applications
- Type in Static FBML in the search box on the left
- Click on the title of the app
- On the Left side it will say Add to My Page
- Choose which Page to add it to
- Close the window
- Go to your Fan Page
- Click Edit Page
- Find the FBML section listed
- Click Edit
- Edit the “Box Name” which will change the Tab name
- In the main body, paste basic HTML
- Click Save Changes then check out your page to see!
If you have more Static FBML tabs you want to add, while you are in the FBML editor that you already were working with, scroll to the bottom left to click Add another FBML box, and a new FBML section (unnamed) will appear on your Edit Page area. You can then click to Edit that one.
If you have several, drag and drop the tabs on your Fan Page to the order in which you would like them to appear.
If you have a custom FBML welcome tab, you can make that your landing page for new visitors to see before becoming your Fan. To do this, on your Fan Page, click Options, then Settings and next to Default Landing Tab for Everyone Else, select the FBML page you want them to see when they are not yet your fan.
In the next post I will show you some basic HTML tags you might want to use in your custom FBML pages!